Thursday, December 04, 2008

Last Law School Class


Soon this blog will be filled with endless posts of horror stories as I study for the bar, and excerpts of days which will be filled with crying, night sweats, and shots of vodka at 2 in the afternoon. But today it will be filled with the sad yet happy tale of completing my last law school class EVER. It is 11:30 p.m. which is a normal hour for me to be traveling home on a school night. I have spent the last 3 1/2 years for 4 days a week between 6:00 pm - 10:15 pm sitting in class listening to lectures, sometimes a break here or there to get bad coffee. I have searched many Internet sites, and put up with terrible (the nun) and wonderful professors (the nun). I have hated and loved my class mates, and also spent endless hours typing notes, outlines, and studying for finals for 2 weeks straight. I have lost sleep, gained weight, lost weight, eaten tons of junk food, starved, drank lots of coffee, showered, not showered, wore sweatpants for 10 days. The point is for those that have attended law school (especially the evening students) you all know what it is like to work a 40 hour work and sit in class for 16 hours, making an average week 70 to 80 hours if you include homework and finals. And even if you didn't work...Any law student can relate to hating their life, thinking of dropping out at least 10 times a day, hating finals, hating school, did I mention hating life. So what does this all get me? Well besides that I found my very first grey hair this year, and the fact that the idea of law school gives me a migraine. I now sit here after my last law school class and I am drinking a $10.00 bottle of champagne alone in my pajamas eating baked Cheetos while sitting in front of the TV watching Will and Grace. This is what law school has done to me. Somehow, as sad as that scene may sound it is the best feeling in the world. And I look forward to where I will be in 11 days when I have completed my last law school final. I expect I will be drinking a $20.00 bottle of champagne and probably still eating Cheetos in my pajamas watching Will and Grace, but at least I know in my heart that I accomplished 1 step of what is to come. There is still the bar exam, and then passing the bar, and then walking down the aisle for graduation, then getting sworn into the bar, and then the day when I sign Esq. for the very first time. There is still a lot more to overcome and a lot more to look forward to. I know one of my best friends has been down this path, and I still brag about how proud I am of her (yes you!), and I just hope someone will feel the same for me in 6 months. Because sh*t it is anticlimactic!

1 comment:

bitsandgiggles said...

I still love putting Esq. after my name. It really doesn't get old.

I'll drink plenty of champagne with you through this whole, horrible process!